Skip to content

Shades of Ireland: Electricity

Shades of Ireland: Electricity

Electricity in Ireland

What kind of converters do you need?

The US uses types A and B electrical outlets with a standardized voltage of 120 V and frequency of 50 Hz. Since sockets in Ireland are type G with a standard voltage of 230 V and frequency of 50 Hz, American electronics don't naturally fit.

Universal Power:  'INPUT: 100-240V, 50/60 Hz'

Check your electronics to see if they have a label of 'INPUT: 100-240V, 50/60 Hz' -- this is often found on tablet/laptop chargers, cameras, cell phones, and toothbrushes. In these instances, all you will need to bring is a power plug adapter.

In other cases, you will need to look for a combination plug adapter/voltage converter that also adjusts for frequency.